Monday, March 1, 2010

Different from me





















Meghan assigned me to work with composition, lighting to take different photos that I don't usualy take. So I thought about it and decided to lock myself in my dorm room and take something. Because I use models in my photos a lot and I also either take photo at outside or in the studio. So I decided to limit my objects and space and to take photos of still objects rather than people. Then I started taking photos and I suddenly saw my half transparent red cup. Then an idea came up to my mind and I decided to use it as a filter. I put cup in front of the flash and took some pictures and it looked very cool. I experimented with the distance and direction of cups with flash light and took couple pictures. It was very experimental and interesting. If somebody interested in doing same thing, I don't recommend putting plastic thing very closer to the flash because I burned my cup once I put it too closer...


And here is the cup that I used.








Yue Nakayama

4 comments:

  1. I really like the way you have done something really different and in doing so taken a risk and explored. --Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's really awesome how you used an everyday object as a tool for your photos- so creative! It definitely gives your room a kind of eerie glow to it. The texture of the glass gives the photos different pockets of light that look almost ghostly.
    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really cool, Yue! I like the creativity of using your own sort of filter. As a series, I think the shots with the magazine cutouts on the wall are very interesting together because its a spin on the same thing throughout. It's also interesting how some spots of the images ended up in white light; it's a cool effect in a couple of these but in the second to last, the upper right white area is a little distracting from the cohesiveness of the rest of the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well played! You created a special mood in the room using that cup as a filter. I enjoy looking at the results of your experiment. The first photo is my favorite (I guess it is because of that hint of light blue in the corner). The last two also have excitation points in them that attract my focus. The rest of the photo lack a little bit of intention from my point of view.

    ReplyDelete